An ingredient that has cropped up when looking through our extensive list of testosterone boosters is that of Beta-Sitosterol, but this isn’t a common herb, no this a plant extract that has its benefits in being added to a testosterone booster even if it doesn’t directly raise testosterone levels.
Table of Contents
What is Beta Sitosterol?
Beta-Sitosterol is a natural product that originates from the plant kingdom and can be found in nuts, avocados, and vegetable oils in salad dressings. It has properties that are useful for certain types of medicine and therefore can be found in medicine.
Obviously, we are unable to get a photo of the inside of a plant, so here is the chemical formula for it!
Where Is Beta-Sitosterol Most Useful?
From a number of scientific clinical studies pharmaceutical companies have incorporated Beta-Sitosterol into several drugs to help people who suffer from any of the following diseases:
- High Cholesterol: In clinical trials and around the world you will find that Beta-Sitosterol is used in drugs that are designed to combat people who suffer from high cholesterol. It has been shown that Beta-Sitosterol significantly reduces bad (LDL) cholesterol levels in the body, but it does not help in raising the levels of good (HDL) cholesterol levels.
- Enlarged Prostate: Men suffering from an enlarged prostate or benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) are advised to supplement their diet with Beta-Sitosterol as it helps control the symptoms of BPH. Studies have shown that Beta-Sitoserolalleviatese the typical discomfort that older men suffer from, namely urination flow and enabling them to continue to normal urination control.
- Beta-Sitosterol and DHT: Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) has been shown to initiate the enlargement of men’s prostates, however, Beta-Sitosterol supplementation causes the enzyme 5-alpha-reductase to be inhibited and therefore blocking the change of testosterone into DHT. Higher levels of DHT in the body cause can lead to hair loss, by using Beta-Sitosterol is can prevent this issue.
Because Beta-Sitosterol helps in blocking DHT, it, therefore, helps in keeping higher levels of testosterone in the body longer, reducing the effect of age on the loss of muscle mass in the body.
What Are The Side Effects of Using Beta-Sitosterol?
Beta-Sitosterol is a safe natural drug that can be taken by the majority of people when digested orally. There have been reported side effects, such as indigestion, gas, diarrhoea, nausea and constipation.
As with most herbal ingredients, we would not recommend that you consume Beta-Sitosterol if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, as you wouldn’t want to pass anything to the unborn child.
There is a caution for those that suffer from a rare inherited fat storage disease called Sitosterolemia. There have been instances whereby users who’ve taken high levels of Beta-Sitosterol when they have this genetic condition have shown to suffer from early heart disease.
What Is The Dosage When Using Beta-Sitosterol?
As the primary function of supplementation with Beta-Sitosterol is to help reduce high levels of bad cholesterol and there are limited side-effects it is safe to consume a fairly high level, say 800mg to 6g a day for those with very high cholesterol and this would be taken in conjunction with a low-fat diet.
For those with an enlarged prostate, the dosages are lower, say 60 – 130mg of Beta-Sitosterol broken up into 2-3 doses daily.
Overall Assessment for Beta Sitosterol in Testosterone Boosters
Other than the health benefits of taking Beta-Sitosterol for those men who suffer from an enlarged prostate or perhaps high levels of bad cholesterol, Beta-Sitosterol isn’t a ‘MUST HAVE’ ingredient for helping raise testosterone in men and therefore doesn’t join our list of the main ingredients for testosterone boosters.
Although there is evidence to suggest that Beta-Sitosterol can help by stopping the reduction of natural testosterone in the body, there is little evidence to promote this extract as a ‘booster’ of testosterone.
For those that have taken Beta-Sitosterol in the past, please leave a comment below on what you used it for and the benefits you experienced in taking this supplement.
- 10 Fundamental Rules When You Are Trying To Build Muscle and Burn Body Fat - October 1, 2018
- Hypnosis For Premature Ejaculation – Is That A Solution? - November 3, 2016
- Delay Creams, Delay Gels, Delay Sprays For Premature Ejaculation – Do They Work? - November 3, 2016
- Are There Home Remedies For Premature Ejaculation? - November 3, 2016
- What Premature Ejaculation Exercises Are There? - November 3, 2016